Food Justice NOW
The Campaign for Food Justice Now - Organizing for a fair, just and healthy food system!
RSS Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Black Friday is Freedom Friday
Time for a National Food Policy
No Justice, No Juice - Food as a tool for organizing against Stand your Ground laws
Climate Change is the Defining Issue of our time
I'm not havin it!

Categories

Blog
Building Together
Welcome
powered by

My Blog

Food Justice NOW

Welcome to Food Justice NOW!

What I hope to accomplish in this space is to develop a place where there is a discussion about the race, class and gender issues that shape the injustices in food and agriculture system.

At the same time, I know that I know only a little but I am willing to share what I know.

I am also interested in learning from you.

If you have a story to share or you want to contribute a piece to publish please let me know.

Before I sign off, check out this article in the Scientific American on children and food environments.

and this one on Monsanto

As my friends back home would say, To be aware is to be alive. Heres to surviving.

LD

6 Comments to Food Justice NOW:

Comments RSS
Tempest Warfield on Monday, April 22, 2013 3:00 PM
I'd love to contribute and vice versa. I will be in touch! Thank you.
Reply to comment

LaDonna on Sunday, May 05, 2013 2:41 PM
Thanks for your comment and your help!

Peggy Schaub on Sunday, May 05, 2013 2:05 PM
The Organic Consumer's Association is active in a campaign for state mandatory labeling of GMO's. To what extent will this be beneficial to the majority of US consumers, really, if Monsanto continues their practices regarding GMO's I could see if it was banned from federal school lunch programs.
Reply to comment

LaDonna on Sunday, May 05, 2013 3:04 PM
Hi Peggy, Thanks for your comment. I have to admit I am not sure which "this" you are referring to - So I will answer your question two ways. If you mean "this", in terms of OCS work with GMO's - I think it will help tremendously. Organizers from OCA worked with me in Chicago when I was becoming aware of the issues of GMO's and food access in my west side community over 19 years ago. Ronnie Cummings and OCA are wonderful resources and we need more organizations organizing consumers. If you meant "this, referring to the forming of CFJN, I would say that the problem in our food systems goes beyond production. It is the entirety of the food system that is damaged and under the influence of corporations. We need MORE consumers aware of the POLITICAL choices that are in front of them. Right now consumers are aware of the marketing choices in front of them but not the political choices. For examples, many consumer could tell you about organic food but not be able to identify Monsanto. CFJN is focused on organizing people to act as voters to address corporate influence such as the Monsanto Protection act. There are 47 Million SNAP benefit customers that essentially have no voice in the farm bill. CFJN will organize them and promote changes in the food system that go beyond addressing hunger to ending hunger. There are plenty of people working to change school lunches, I have been one of them. I support others that are doing that important work. However, the missions of CFJN is very different. CFJN will organize people to hold our local and national representatives accountable to us ensuring that they implement and pass food and agriculture policies that protect our communities. I hope "this" clears things up for you. Thank you for you question!

Janette Byrd on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:56 AM
Hey LaDonna, Love the website and new campaign. The University of Arkansas School of Social Work would love to be a member of your campaign.
Reply to comment

tour tibet on Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:13 PM
I am often to running a blog and i actually appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and preserve checking for new information.
Reply to comment